I managed to successfully build and install an add hoc app onto my iPhone. However, as soon as I launch the app on the device, I see the splash screen for a second, then the app closes.
It was my assumption that since the splash screen was displayed that my app code was being run. However, after reading about application bootstrapping on the iPhone, it looks like the iPhone OS first displays Default.png before even running your main function. This made me realise that my application code probably wasn’t even being run at all.
To further my bewilderment, installing via iTunes on a PC worked just fine while installing on a Mac using iTunes wasn’t working.
Inspecting the .app folder showed me that CodeResources file was a file instead of a Symbolic link. Bewildered why that might be, I tracked the problem down to our build system. Our build system uses Ant to zip the .app folder up and send over email. Turns out that the ant zip task resolves symbolic links before adding the link to the archive. Hence the corrupted .app file.
Oddly enough, the iTunes version for windows is smart enough to parse this (probably because symbolic links don’t exist on the PC), where as iTunes on mac doesnt.